Saturday 28 November 2015

INSTANCES OF SEXUAL ASSAULTS IN THE EPIC MAHABHARATA



It’s a posting in response to an article with heading ‘BHULE JABAR AGE’, in Bengali, meaning ‘Before I forget’, written by Sri Arunoday Saha, Ex-V.C of Tripura Central University in the issue of local daily Dainik Sambad on February 18, 2013. The eminent educationist has praised my writings, especially my novel “Bridging Souls – a Journey from Mahabharata to Bharata”.

I am expressing my sincere regards to Prof Saha for his excellent gesture of highlighting my writings in his lucid language. He has also spoken with me on the same day. But, his article has a fallacy, which needs clarification. My book Bridging Souls is basically a travelogue. In this fiction, I have tried to portray a protagonist Ambujanaba Sharma, a police officer. In course of his visits to some places of the modern Bharat, he analyzed some of the incidents of the epic Mahabharata which took place more than five thousand years ago in the lens of modern laws.

I have narrated some incidents of sexual assaults in my book. From the article of Prof Saha, it appears that I have brought rape charges against Bhishma. This is a far fetching imagination. Yes, I have brought theft charges against him for stealing Nandini, the divine cow of sage Vasishtha, as youngest of the eight Vasus. I have also accused him for abduction of three beautiful princesses Amba, Ambika and Ambalika. Perhaps, my beloved teacher has been confused by section 494 IPC which I have brought against Vichitravirjya for bigamy. Bhishma was charged for abetment. He was also charged for abetting Amba to commit suicide. I didn’t spare him from criticism for organizing the rituals in the name of the Pandavas and their mother Kunti with the charred bodies of a Nishad family of similar composition, mother and five sons after the fire at Wax Palace, knowing fully well that the Pandavas were alive.
In fine, the following are some major incidents of sexual assault witnessed in the epic:
*    Sexual assault upon Kunti by Sun God and the birth of Karna.
*  In the version of Bhil’s Mahabharata, Draupadi had been sexually assaulted by Vasuki Naga for about a month.
*  Sexual assault upon Satyavati by sage Parashar and birth of Vyasa.
*  A maid servant was sexually assaulted by Dhritarashtra when Gandhari was in her pregnancy resulting birth of Yuyutsu.
* In Tamil version of the Mahabharata, Arjuna sexually assaulted a beautiful lady named Ali, in the guise of a snake with the assistance of Sri Krishna who played the role of snake-charmer. Arjuna subsequently married Ali.
*   Lord Indra raped Tara, the wife of Brihashpati.
* After the Kshatriya kings were slain by Parasuram, their widows were forcibly raped by the people from higher echelon of the society.

There are many more instances of gruesome offences in the epic which the readers may find in my book “Bridging Souls – a Journey from Mahabharata to Bharata”.

No comments:

Post a Comment